Friday, May 24, 2019

Lila Jane: Birth Story

Wednesday, May 8th, 2019!

We were scheduled for a 5:00 pm c-section. I couldn't eat or drink anything after 9:00 am and boy was that a long day of fasting..

Curtis only worked a half day and came home around noon. I showered, got ready and we woke the kids up from their naps so we could play with them some before we left. We needed to be at the hospital at 3:30. Brooklyn had a really hard time and didn't want us to leave. We got to L&D and the nurse came out and told us that there were 2 emergent c-sections ahead of me so they wanted us to come back at 5pm. We didn't want to go back home since Brooklyn had such a hard time with us leaving so we went and walked around some stores for a little while. Since I hadn't eaten or drank anything all day I started getting light headed and sick while walking around so we decided to go drive around for a while. It was sort of a last minute date that we got to have just to ourselves.

Once we got back to the hospital I changed into the hospital gown and the nurse put the monitors on me. She started the IV and we waited and filled out all the paperwork. The anesthesiologist came in to talk to us and then my doctor came in. Dr. Merrill did an ultrasound to double check that she was transverse and she still was. We waited a while longer and then it was time to head to the OR. Curtis got to put on his "bunny suit" which he thought was the greatest thing ha.

The OR was bright and cold. I've had 4 surgeries previous to this but I was obviously asleep for all of those- I was pretty nervous but calm. I sat up on the table and the anesthesiologist started the spinal. One shot to numb the area and then a bigger shot with the numbing medicine and some morphine. Curtis and the anesthesiologist then laid me down because man that stuff kicks in fast! Seriously within a minute I was numb from chest down and my arms were a little tingly. They strapped my legs down and I started getting really sleepy. I heard the nurses going through their list of supplies and I kept trying to talk to Curtis- to calm nerves and to stay awake! I just kept telling myself I couldn't fall asleep, I had to be awake for baby girl to be born! Ha.

My doctor then came in and the doctors for the baby. They put up the drape so we couldn't see and the dr checked to make sure I was numb. I was definitely numb. They got started and it wasn't long until baby girl was born. She came out feet first due her positioning. Lila Jane was born at 7:18 pm! They took Lila right to the bed and she didn't cry for a while. I was so happy when I finally heard her little cry! I just watched them working on her the whole time my doctor was stitching me up.

They had to put a CPAP mask on her mouth to force air and get her to breath. Her lungs would collapse when she tried breathing and the mask was helping. Her oxygen levels would also drop. The doctors were working on Lila for about 35 minutes. My doctor was done with me and they moved me to the regular hospital bed. They asked if baby was going with us to my room or to the NICU. The doctors were done with her then and let me hold her skin-to-skin while they took us back to our room. Because she was unwrapped for so long in the OR her temp was really low so they had to keep her under the warm light for a while in my room. Once her temperature was up they brought her to me again for skin to skin. We snuggled and nursed and then grandma came with big brother and sister.

Brooklyn and Parley were absolutely adorable with Lila! Parley wanted to hold her all night and Brooklyn loves giving her kisses.

After an hour or so they moved me from the L&D room to the mothers suite. They gave me some crackers, water and apple juice so I could take some pain meds. I hadn't eaten or drank anything in so long that I think that little bit made me sick, I ended up throwing up. After that I felt better and then was able to keep food and water down. After the numbness wore off my legs they had me get up and it felt so good to get out of that bed!

Because Lila had some oxygen problems when she was first born they had to monitor and check her blood sugar levels for the first 24 hours- which meant a lot of heel pricks and a sad baby girl.. I also had to be on oxygen over the first night because everytime I would try to go to sleep my oxygen levels would drop.

Over the next couple days (after a c-section you have to stay in the hospital for 72 hours) we spent a lot of time snuggling in bed, eating and walking the halls of the hospital. The more I got up out of bed the better I felt. All of my nurses were so good and amazing. My mom and the kids came to visit about 2 times each day. The hospital gave me an abdominal binder to wear and it was wonderful! Ha.

Before we left they took my staples out of my incision. I didn't feel a thing while they did it. We were so happy when we were finally able to go home. Grandma, Grandpa, Brooklyn and Parley were waiting for us at home and so excited to see us! Probably more excited to see Lila than me and Curtis haha.

I honestly have been healing so well and have been able to do so much. I am still trying to take it easy but it's hard to do when you feel so good and have 3 kids to take care of. If I do too much during the day I am sore that night but so far everything has been going really good.

I have to say the weirdest part is going to the hospital, having a baby within 2 hours and never going through labor.. SO weird. But I am so grateful for modern medicine and that we were able to get Lila here safe and healthy. We love our little Lila Jane and she has been the perfect addition to our family!

















No comments:

Post a Comment